Sunday, January 7, 2024

Best Films of 2017-2023 (2022)

 Best of 2022
  1. Everything Everywhere All at Once (27) - An incredible turn by Michelle Yeoh.  Being married to a Singaporean, I especially loved hearing her Malysian mannerisms / accent come out, and her harshly playful relationship with her husband.  I think it helped that Val and I watched this over 2 sittings as I've heard some people complain that the movie dragged a bit.  Overall, the movie created that cinematic magic I hope for in a movie where I'm transported in a deep or whimsical way.  
  2. The Banshees of Inisherin (83) - The opening scenes had some of the best cinematography I've seen in a while.  The movie really makes you feel like you've taken a trip to a remote island in Ireland.  The story stays simple & tight with dramatic conflict and excellent acting.  The conflict part of the story wasn't so enjoyable for me since it kind of evoked some thoughts about the annoying conflicts my kids go through where I can't find a good solution to make things fair.  But the fact that this story was an allegory of the Irish Civil War makes me appreciate the need for messy conflicts in the story.  
  3. Top Gun: Maverick (1) - It was fun getting to watch this in Air Force country: San Diego.  It did a great job of making the viewer just appreciate the beauty and power of fighter jets.  No CGI (or at least minimal if they did).  
  4. The Fabelmans (67) - A good Spielbergian experience.  
  5. Matilda The Musical (Netlix) - A treat of a movie out of nowhere.  Our family really enjoyed it and we're looking forward to watching the musical in March.  
  6. The Menu (42) - This one kinda lost me, but it was OK.  The protagonist's commitment to his foodyism was comical.  
  7. Turning Red (60) - OK
  8. Minions: The Rise of Gru (6) - Fun for the kids.  I can't keep track of which plot belongs to which movie.  
Movies I Didn't Much Care For
  1. Ticket to Paradise (28) - I kinda don't love their onscreen chemistry.  My least favorite parts of Oceans 11-13 were their scenes together.  This movie was kind of a dud for a date-night.  
  2. Glass Onion (62) - I totally loved Knives Out but I found this follow-up installment too... I don't know, self-indulgent, politicized, faux clever.  Really didn't like it.  
  3. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2) - Pretty lousy follow-up, and way too long.  
  4. Avatar: The Way of Water (4) - For someone that absolutely loved the first movie, I was surprised that I couldn't even get through the first half hour of the film.  And on a long plane ride no less.
Movies I'm Eager to Watch (In Order)
  1. Aftersun (156)
  2. Nope (14)
  3. Tár (95)
Movies I'm Not that Eager to Watch
  1. The Whale (100) - Val saw this and said it's pretty disturbing but that Brendan Fraser is quite convincing in it.  So that's probably all I need to know.  

No comments: