Sunday, January 7, 2024

Best Films of 2017-2023 (2017)

Best of 2017

  1. Blade Runner 2049 (37) - Awesome movie (that I didn't manage to watch until 2023).  Great sci-fi themes.  An appropriately complicated plot.  A great hero journey.  And gorgeous visuals.  
  2. Dunkirk (12) - A very interesting Christopher Nolan film.  Feels quite different from all of his others, with "Oppenheimer" being somewhat of an exception.  The thing I most appreciated about this film was how it made me feel what (I at least believe) being in a war is really like.  The claustrophobia of being in a crowded ship, eating lousy food, the thud of bullets on the sand, the paranoia of waiting out the enemy in a hiding place, and the small but important actions in the background that help swing the fates.  
  3. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (1) - See my 2019 review of Star Wars Episode IX.  This movie was super cool on its own, albeit with some flaws.  Not so cool in the context of the whole reboot trilogy.
  4. Coco (13) - Great music, and a great introduction to Mexican / Latin culture.  
  5. The Star (70) - A delightfully Christian Christmas movie that I didn't really discover until a few years later.  But my kids and I love it.  The bird (played by Keegan-Michael Key) doing his distraction dance is a riot.  
  6. Darkest Hour (110) - One of those solid historical movies about an important war figure.  
  7. Wonder Woman (3) - A good take on an old classic comic book that got me to like this character that I had never previously cared about in my comics adventures.  
  8. Despicable Me 3 (8) - Funny.
Movies I'm Eager to Watch (In Order)
  1. Get Out (15)
  2. Split (23)

No comments: