Sunday, January 7, 2024

Best Films of 2017-2023 (2021)

Best of 2021
  1. Dune (13) - One of my favorites in a long time.  This got me super into the novels and the whole Dune world.  I loved the look of the movie, the world-building, the casting, all of it.  Can't wait for the sequel(s).
  2. Power of the Dog (Netflix) - A harrowing story in multiple ways.  Beautiful landscapes.  
  3. The Tragedy of Macbeth (Netflix) - Not my favorite version of the story, but some neat interpretations of various scenes--in particular the 3 witch sisters.  Denzel's personality was a little too overbearing for us.  
  4. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2) - Given my expectations, this was actually a really cool movie.  My Asian in-laws don't care for it, but I thought it was cool the way the movie bridged the gap between traditional martial arts films and the Marvel machine, and it was fun to see Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh reprise some action / romance sequences from their younger glory days.  The ending was messy, but there was a lot to like up until that point.  
  5. Sing 2 (17) - Fun family movie.
  6. Encanto (15) - Ditto.

Movies I Didn't Much Care For
  1. Spider-Man: No Way Home (1) - I went into this with a good attitude, and was digging it for the first 20-30 minutes but then the plot got a little out of hand / long and I didn't care for it as much.  
Movies I'm Eager to Watch (In Order)
    1. The French Dispatch (52)
    2. Drive My Car (175)
    3. King Richard (57)
    Movies I'm Not that Eager to Watch
    1. No Time to Die (7)
    2. West Side Story (38)

    No comments: