Friday, January 12, 2018

Best Music of 2017

  1. Big Thief - Capacity 
    • The more I listen the more I think it's a masterpiece.  Her ability to write poems that tell stories, and to sing them in such unique (but pleasant) rhythms makes me really appreciate the music.  "We may each want something different from music — when melody and memory tell a tale, I'm in. And right now, no one does it better for me than this band." -Bob Boilen
  2. Benjamin Clementine - I Tell a Fly
    • I prefer his 2015 album, 'At Least for Now', but this one is still pretty darn good.  A good mix of poetry, jazz, pop, and interesting vocals.
  3. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. 
    • I was expecting a more typical hip-hop / rap album when I started checking him out, but I was impressed at the depth of the sounds, and I can't deny that some of those rhythms are pretty awesome.  Sometimes I feel like his piano, bass, and drum sounds channel some of the best parts of Radiohead.  
  4. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
    • Not their best album, but it ages well with repeated listens.  A few of their tracks are a fresh sound from them that I really dig.  And props to them for rounding out an excellent catalog of albums at this point.
  5. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
    • Their prior album is probably still more classic than this one, but this one is really enjoyable on first listen.  
  6. Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
    • Reminds me a bit of the lead singer from the band Wet.  Also her sound reminds me somewhat of Neil Young's 'Le Noise' album from a few years back.  Some raw emotions, and some haunting lyrics.  I enjoyed watching her Tiny Desk performance -- she's super talented.
  7. Slowdive - Slowdive
    • Chill
  8. Valerie June - The Order of Time
    • When you've consumed enough 'Alabama Shakes' and 'Black Keys' but you still want that sound, she really hits the spot.  
  9. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
    • I found her deep but soft voice and acoustic guitar arresting, but I did slightly tire of the album as I made my way through it.  Could be clutch on the right kind of day / location though.
  10. SZA - Ctrl
    • Love a couple of the songs, but can't get behind it as a whole album.
  11. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
    • Death is real.  If you needed to know that this is a good album to teach you that.  
  12. Jay Som - Everybody Works
    • Fun throughout. 
Old Standbys
  1. Bjork - Utopia
    • Doesn't come close to her last album, 'Vulnicura' (one of my favorites of the last decade), but it's interesting.  I haven't had the patience for it yet but I may someday.  
  2. Sufjan Stevens - Planetarium
    • It's kind of cool, but I can't get through the whole album
  3. LCD Soundsystem - american dream
    • I need something more from them on this comeback
  4. Beck - Colors 
    • This is one of his "fun" albums.  I tend to prefer his not fun albums these days.  
Good Songs for a Playlist
  1. Moses Sumney - Lonely World 
    • He has one or two other decent songs on his albums as well
  2. Bottle Tree - Open Secret 
    • I love the sound of this song with all its world beats and percussion.  I wanted to like the album more but could only get behind a couple other songs
  3. The xx - I Dare You
    • Whatever
  4. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Deadly Valentine
    • Not a great album, but big bonus points for sounding like a Royksopp song.  

No comments: