Thursday, January 11, 2018

Best Films of 2016

Below is my ranking and some brief write-ups of 2016's best movies along with their current domestic grossing ranks in parentheses. (NO SPOILERS)


Top Movies
  1. Manchester by the Sea (69) - So poignant.  Such good acting.  Scenes that really stick with you--especially as a father of young kids.  It was interesting to hear Matt Damon (producer) explain on a podcast how Manchester is the kind of movie that studios don’t really pay to make anymore since it’s an "intimate, character-driven drama without any action or high-concepts or superheroes."  And how the loss of the home video market is a major reason everything has shifted to big blockbusters and superhero movies.  Now studios need to replace that home video revenue by making simpler hero vs. villain type movies that will perform well at the international box office.  
  2. La La Land (19) - This movie had me singing the songs, laughing in my chair, wondering what was going to happen, wondering what the ending meant, downloading the soundtrack, and it just generally made me happy.  I don't get what all the negativity was about.
  3. Arrival (29) - This was a great discovery on a long flight.  My mind was doing circles on itself until it literally blew up.  Renner!  Although Val didn't love it quite as much, and accused me of being predictable on what movies I will like.  
  4. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (1) - I enjoyed the texture of the film and that it took some risks with the plot.  I liked the deeper exploration of the Force.  The more I think about it, however, the weirder and more pointless the Forest Whitaker character is.  (Great opening sequence.)
  5. Jason Bourne (15) - Huge fan of the whole series.  My biggest disappointment was Tommy Lee Jones as the CIA director--I found myself more interested in his pronounced face wrinkles than in his conviction in the role.  
  6. Moana (11) - I don't think I've seen the entire movie yet, but have seen and heard enough segments to count for having watched it several times.  The drawings / colors are really pretty, and some of the music is excellent (though the more popular songs wear on me after a while).  The 'Know Who You Are' scene with Moana and Tika face to face is one of the most beautiful scenes of the year in my opinion.  
  7. Hail, Caesar! (89) - Another good Coen Brothers installment, but not their best.
  8. Zootopia (7)
  9. Florence Foster Jenkins (94) - Val liked this more than I did.  It was fun, and well acted; just not interesting enough to keep me riveted for the whole movie.
  10. Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (12) - Enjoyable watching as a big group on a family vacation, but otherwise not really my cup of tea.

No comments: