Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer Flicks


Hollywood has finally come through with some good movies after a seemingly quiet first half of the year. July in particular is showing a lot of promise.

Hellboy II (July 11) – I saw this movie on opening weekend with some Del Toro fans. I left the theater very happy and we all agreed that II was better than I. I guess that ringing endorsement might not be so compelling to some of you. Let me explain. Hellboy is not just some cheap-thrill horror film. Hellboy is the code name given to the red, horned infant who was rescued by an American research team from the clutches of a Nazi Rasputin experiment. He grows up and joins the Bureau of Paranormal Research & Defense in order to defend the human race in a behind-the-scenes, light-hearted kind of way. Hellboy is a man’s man with a sense of humor and cynicism. This latest movie does a good job of exploring internal dilemmas and it has a great plot with a complex conflict and only partial resolution.

Batman – The Dark Knight (July 18) – I’m still not convinced that this movie is going to deliver like I hope it will, and like the first one delivered. But I’m excited to see it anyways, and maybe it will be awesome. Heath Ledger’s role as the Joker is intriguing to say the least. Maggie Gylenhall doesn’t turn me on which is OK, I guess. As far as Batman paramours, I don’t think anyone will ever top Kim Basinger as Vicki Vale in the Tim Burton version. Maggie G. and Katie Holmes (Batman Begins) just lack that mysterious dark side which is so essential in the world of Bruce Wayne.

X-Files – I Want to Believe (July 25) – I have no idea what the plot or the inspiration for this movie is. But I saw a cool billboard with the iconic flashlight “X” and shadows of the two agents, Mulder and Scully. That was enough for me. In other words, I want to believe.

(Also Neil Young and friends are coming out with a politically charged movie, ‘CSNY: Déjà vu’, later this month. It’s sure to be a smash hit.)

1 comment:

Scott said...

I echo your take on Batman paramours, nicely put Twain. I however have very high expectations for the Dark Knight. I wish I could go see it with you.