Tuesday, July 15, 2008

i Year Anniversary


It was exactly one year ago when I sprang for the revolutionary mobile device that is the iPhone. Overall, the experience has been excellent. Having a calendar, a notepad, a picture viewer, instant email, web and map access, and other features that are both productive and enjoyable in their use make it a life-changing, life-improving technological advancement. And that’s saying nothing of the impressive iPod integration, the video capabilities, media streaming, and the actual phone itself. I have definitely been a satisfied customer, but there have been a few annoyances:

Obnoxiously soft speakerphone
Recessed headphone jack
Occasionally inaccurate “Current Location” on Google Maps
Problems crashing to the home screen when using iPod and Safari simultaneously.

But now that the iPhone 3G is out, I imagine all these items will be resolved. I may need to get one. I’m not certain on the crashing issue but I know the headphone jack issue has been resolved, the GPS will be a big plus on the new model, and the volume on the speakerphone I know has at least been addressed.

By my calculations the new iPhone will cost an extra $360 over the course of 24 months ($10 extra for data, and $5 extra to maintain 200 text messages). And with the 1st generation used iPhone fetching upwards of $300 on ebay (people are still willing to pay top dollar for last year’s model due to it’s ability to be unlocked), it’s hard to stand pat. My only question is whether or not it’s worth it to hold out for a 32GB model.

No comments: