Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Early Album Favorites for 2013

Below are some good albums that have already come out in 2013.

1. Amok - Atoms For Peace (Rating: 8.0)
Besides being annoyed that now when I have the urge to listen to Thom Yorke music I have to now search for both "Thom..." and "Atoms..." this is a very solid album.
I will say right up front that this album is not as good as Thom Yorke's 'The Eraser' (2006).  That album was semi-revolutionary in my opinion.  It was such a good laptop album.  By that I mean that in listening to it you feel like you're at the airport or something, peering over Thom Yorke's shoulder as he cuts, loops, repeats, synthesizes, etc. on his Macbook.  It was as if Thom Yorke himself were sharing a link with you to his very personal new record.
Now back in 2013 in this new incarnation of a full ensemble of the 4 or 5 band members of Atoms For Peace, I find that the music is still nice but it's almost overproduced to perfection, and feels slightly less personal.  I have to say though that the track, 'Ingenue', is likely to be the best song I'll listen to during the whole year.  I'm tempted to buy tickets to the concert when they come this way in September mostly because I love seeing these kinds of songs played live and being thrown for a loop when I see them performing these songs with real instruments and not just laptops and vocals.



2. The Invisible Way - Low (Rating: 7.7)
I love everything about this band these days.  They have such a good formula going for them with a very simple concept to their music of a tortured male voice harmonizing with a deep, angelic female voice, simple percussion, subdued guitar that continually threatens to scream its head off, and throw some bass and occasional piano in there.  My gripe with this album is that it's a little too soft and too similar from song to song.  Also the fact that Mimi (the wife in this husband-wife duet) has too much of a leading role when she's best suited to backing vocals with occasional lead when you just need to be moved to tears.  I point to a song like "Majesty/Magic" on their 2011 album, 'C'mon' in which you get a powerful and emotional buildup with some incredibly raw guitar and percussion.  There aren't really any songs on this album that have that strong emotional impact on me.  Regardless of all these gripes I'm discussing, the fundamental formula is in place for this album and it's a nice addition to their collection.  My favorites from this album are the opening track, 'Plastic Cup', and 'Holy Ghost'.

No comments: