Thursday, January 3, 2013

Blog Log: The Carolinas (Part I)

In the spirit of the Cross-Country Blog Log of Jan-2008 (http://twainfectas.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html) I am taking this opportunity to log the events of the recent (and mostly impromptu) trip that took us to North and South Carolina for the 2012/2013 New Years break.

Raleigh (12/28/12)
With Val heading to the Seven Corners Cafe Rio to pick up the Richardses' order [Two steak salads, no beans, extra rice three ranch dressings (1 extra)] and me watching Rae and baby Eli at the park [tasked with achieving the delicate balance of exhaustion for the one and tranquility (through the use of striclty mandated constant stroller motion] for the other], we rendezvoused at 2:15pm and set off for the 4-hour drive to Raleigh.  We had hoped that this early workday departure would allow us to just cruise down I-95 S, but quickly came to find that demand for Raleigh sleepovers must peak around this time of year, and we were delayed by a full 2 hours--even in the HOV lane.  

Rejuvenated by a bag of Munchies (which has replaced Chili Cheese Fritos as my new road-trip go-to) and a bottle of Cherry Coke we pressed on and arrived at the Richardses in Raleigh at about 8:15pm.  We all enjoyed some only slightly stale Cafe Rio--with Todd subbing in for Patty circa 1994 and scolding me for only eating about half of my salad--and followed it up by watching some 'Comedians Getting Coffee [sic]' and enjoying some Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream--a staple of the Todd and Pace late 80's / early 90's diet.



Currently ranked #1

I'll also add that the group thought it was funny that, during our short stay, I played the role of Todd by causing Rae to get splattered directly in the eye by a spicy salsa take-out container mishandle, and later, by toppling over their son Parker's favorite snowglobe; which, in my defense, was perilously perched atop a small pile of night-time kids books.  When I came downstairs to fess up to the latter Todd and Emily didn't grasp the extent of the breakage of the snowglobe; believing that when I said "broken," I meant that it didn't properly wind or something.  I ashamedly clarified that it was "really broken", and again, "like, the glass is destroyed and the liquid stuff is on the carpet."

After an excellent night's sleep on their state-of-the-art blow-up mattress we awoke to celebrate Emily's birthday by eating the Panera spread that Todd put out for everyone and by taking turns enjoying Todd's recent wiring of a blue-tooth operated shower stereo system.  Then we made for Charleston...

2 comments:

Todd and Emily Richards said...

I am glad you got the Cafe Rio order right in the blog post. If only you had actually arrived with 3 ranch dressings (1 extra) and understood the (1 extra) was for us and not your half-eaten bean salad.

Pace said...

Hahaha. I know. That fact dawned on me as I was copying and pasting the order. I can't believe how poorly we managed the dressings situation. I blame Val, of course.