Monday, May 18, 2009

PREAKNESS!!

Rachel Alexandra (#13) becomes the first filly in 85 years to win the Preakness Stakes, edging Kentucky Dirby winner Mine That Bird by one length.

We spent this last weekend at the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore. The drama surrounding Rachel Alexandra (the filly female going up against all the colts) made for an exciting sporting event. It's too bad we don't gamble because we were going to put $1 million on Rachel but our conscience got the better of us.

I was quite surprised to find that the horseracing crowd is not so elite and distinguished as it once was. We were misled to believe that the madams had to wear a dress and fancy hat, and the gentlemen a coat and tie. Needless to say, I felt a little too formal (and a little too hot) mixing it up with the "running of the urinal crowd" and rocking out to ZZ Top. But in the end the excitement capitulated when the main event was starting, and the race itself turned out to be quite a thrill. Next year I'm wearing a tank top.
Overdressed

Appropriately dressed

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

I believe the "fancy" attire is strictly for the Kentucky Derby but I could be wrong. Nice "man bag" by the way ;)

Pace said...

maybe that was the problem. yeah the "man bag" def added to the discomfort.

James Lambert said...

Hey Pace,

I just started a blog so you can advertise and follow me, just like I now follow you. And next time I see you I am going to give you a wedgie just because you went to a horse race.

James