Friday, March 30, 2007

Biggest Sports Weekend Ever?

Probably not but here's a quick rundown of the events to look forward to:

1. Saturday Night: NCAA Final 4 (CBS)

  • Georgetown Vs. Ohio St. [6:07 pm ET]
  • Florida Vs. UCLA [8:47 pm ET]

If you want to know who I like to win it all the answer is none of these teams. After going 8-8 on my Elite Eight picks I followed that up with an 0-4 on my Final Four picks. So I am unqualified to judge any of these teams, but I'm rooting for UCLA. When are they going to ditch the 35-second shot clock?

2. Sunday Noon: Mavericks @ Suns [3:30 pm ET] (ABC)

Possibly the biggest regular season game of the season. The Suns will attempt to tie up the series between the 2 most explosive teams the NBA has seen this side of the 21st Century. If either Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzki steps up and has a significant game-winning impact they could seal the deal for their MVP candidacy. I'm just glad the game's not at Dallas so we don't have to endure the testicularly-proned Jason Terry's eagle-soaring, ape-stomping antics.

3. Sunday Night: MLB Opening Night - NY Mets @ St. Louis Cardinals [8:05 pm ET] (ESPN 2)

Baseball is back. Last time these teams met Endy Chavez made one of the greatest playoff homerun snags of all time, but the Metties still lost on a Yadier Molina dinger and an Adam Wainright curveball. Biggest stories to follow this season:

  • Daisuke Matsuzaka (松坂 大輔) for whom the Red Sox paid $51.111MM just to talk to his agent will make his major league debut later next week (TBD). The young pitching phenom features 8 pitches (including the "shuuto") and has no pitch count, and as far as I'm concerned no ceiling for potential.
  • The Baby Backs (AZ Diamondbacks) added some quality pitching, including the Big Unit (Randy Johnson), and will look to their highly-touted young stars to carry the load in their quest for a playoff spot. Meanwhile, I will look to my dad to carry the financial load in my quest for a seat at the ballpark.
  • Sammy Sosa is back and playing for the Texas Rangers. Will he hit 50 homeruns? Will he hit 2? I have no idea. The HGH era has made it really difficult to gauge performance on some of these players (particularly the ones with perpetually increasing head sizes)

--Throw that sensational sports batch in with Saturday & Sunday LDS General Conference and factor in the marvel of the Tivo era and I'm looking at roughly 20.5 hours of TV over a 48-hour period (for which I'll be awake for only 32 hours give or take--that's a 0.64 TV/Waking Hours ratio). But if I cut out all MoTab sequences and all "shoulder-pad" talks I can cut that down to about 18.5 hours.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Pace you are too funny. Were you able to view all your programs?

Pace said...

Sadly, I didn't live up to the challenge. I opted for Suns v Mavs instead of Conference hours 9-10 and I was separated from my Tivo. My dad tried the Picture In Picture approach but I couldn't handle it. I told myself I would just read the print version of the session later that night but it's not available until Thu.